The weeks leading up to me turning 30 years old were filled with some good times, but also some challenging times. Things haven’t gone as anticipated for this fall but that I have seen God at work through it all. I have done a lot of self-reflection and it has led to moments of regret and discouragement. But, those moments have been beautiful for they have let me experience God and His amazing grace in deeper ways. Lately I’ve had many moments I feel so thankful: thankful for the life and the many blessings God has given me, and so thankful that we don’t have to do this life alone. The following is a list of 30 things I’ve learned through other people and the circumstances of life over the last 30 years that have most impacted my life.
1. It doesn’t matter what you’re doing, if you’re with the right group of people- things tend to be easier and more enjoyable.
2. Cats are better than dogs…no need to explain further :) (I’m totally just kidding on this one)
3. Sleep is a precious gift, too bad we don’t learn this until we can’t take naps whenever we wish!
4. The ability to work hard and accomplish things is also a great gift.
5. I need to ask God constantly for a teachable and humble heart.
6. When I feel the most broken, God most floods my life with His steadfast love. He is truly close to the broken-hearted.
7. There is great freedom in confession of sin and repentance.
8. It is much more productive to look at my own sin and weaknesses rather than looking at other’s
9. Whoever invented coffee is absolutely wonderful!
10. Mentors are important. Have people in your life to learn from.
11. Good friends are one of God’s most precious blessings to us.
12. Every family has their ups and downs but those relationships are worth fighting for and pursuing
13. Find a good, Bible-teaching church and get involved in it- it makes all of the difference in the world for it helps to make faith come alive in deeper ways.
14. Invest your time and money in things that will last forever
15. God’s plans are so much different than mine. Most of the time I don’t understand them, and some I will never understand this side of eternity; but in the end, they always end up to be better because God is a God of love.
16. Trust and obey for there is no other way to be happy in Jesus.
17. Playing pranks on people add to the spice of life!
18. God’s word is alive and active, and it changes people’s lives.
19. God isn’t disappointed in my progress as a Christian. He is the one who it started and He is the one who will complete it. God won’t ever be disappointed in His own work.
20. It is better to listen more than talking. This is a really hard thing to learn how to do.
21. Quiet, rest time is essential to my sanity.
22. Music is powerful. Listen to what will encourage you and spur you on in the most important things of life
23. There is a beautiful paradox in Christianity: We can completely rest in what Jesus accomplished on the cross for us but it is hard to live for God. No one falls into godliness. We pursue God not to be saved but because we can grow to know and experience Jesus more. Ultimately the desires to pursue Jesus are from God, so all glory goes to Him.
24. Everything flows from my heart. When I pay attention to what is going on in my heart and allow God to work in it, life goes better.
25. Work to assume the best about people.
26. Every season is beautiful in its own way. Having only one season would be boring.
27. Contentment is a hard place to get to and to stay at.
28. Children are a great gift from the Lord.
29. I can’t let my emotions drive my life. It is necessary to talk to myself often and remind myself of what I know to be true. Sometimes the things that are hardest to do in the moment will bring the most joy later.
30. Most of these lessons I’m going to have to learn over and over again for the rest of my life! :)